Applied Research Institute, Inc. (ARI) is a non-profit research institute that brings together leaders from Indiana government, the state’s largest military asset, industry and research universities to facilitate and manage collaborative research teams to pursue major federal grants and contracts and perform corporate-sponsored research in participants’ areas of technical expertise. ARI’s initial focus will be on: trusted microelectronics technology and security; multi-spectral data fusion and security (cyber); high density power storage and management; and advanced material science. Work conducted through ARI accelerates technology commercialization that supports economic prosperity across Indiana with a specific focus on Southwest Central Indiana.
As a well-funded start-up, we are seeking founding team members to grow the organization and establish the vision that will ensure its prosperity. The position will be based in Bloomington, Indiana, with frequent travel required to other areas of the state. At ARI, we escape the big city grind and congestion and enjoy a high standard of living in either a rural setting or thriving college town. Our offices are only a few miles from Indiana’s largest lake and thousands of acres of national forest. Experience the health and happiness of the Hoosier lifestyle to its fullest.
What you’ll do:
- Build and manage strategic relationships with local universities, industry, regional development organizations and non-profits to promote ARI’s programs and mission by establishing and maintaining an alliance organization.
- Conduct research to bring insights around key players in our trade space, this includes evaluating new opportunities and make recommendations to ARI leadership.
- Build teams that can competitively pursue funding opportunities.
- Work collaboratively with ARI leadership and staff to keep everyone aware of progress and status of our strategic partnerships.
- Interact with local interest groups, including the Indiana Office of Defense Development (IODD), the Indiana Economic Development Corporation (IEDC), Radius Indiana, and others.
- Organize, attend, and speak at events (such as conferences and meetings).
- Prepare and disseminate, in novel ways, strategic communications to key stakeholders.
- Travel locally (within the state of Indiana) frequently (up to 50% of your time), and nationally several times per year.
Who you are:
The ideal candidate loves Indiana industry and wants to see it prosper. You also like building relationships and teams and bringing together a variety of stakeholder groups to meet a common goal. You’re from, or live in, Indiana and want to be here. You can set goals, meet them, and get results in an unstructured environment with minimal direction.
You also have:
- BS Degree required, prefer a technical discipline; MS desired.
- Experience with the Indiana tech sector and connections at the local universities, industry, and government entities is essential.
- A strong grasp of the key State players and how they interact.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with an emphasis on corporate and strategic communications, and an ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders.
ARI is building a highly productive work environment that rewards successful contributors and delivers a high level of job satisfaction. We can assure you it won’t be boring.
Additional benefits include:
- A competitive salary and benefits package, including full health/dental/vision, PTO, and 401k.
- Relocation assistance.
- United States Citizenship required.
- Candidate selected may be subject to a government security investigation.
To apply: E-mail your resume and cover letter to
Please note position number H18-002 in the subject line of your e-mail.
Please direct all questions on the position to
Leslie Wolfe at firstname.lastname@example.org.